Sunday, August 11, 2013

In the dark

Behind the coyote lines
The hinnies if the young burros fall silent
The as I stand there
In the darkness overwhelmed by an emotion
Akin to terrified. Akin to fear.
in a large drain some doppelganger
unnervingly emulates what I do.
what brought me here:
It was the cinderblock courtyard in the middle of the night
Lit by one single halogen bulb that hummed into the encircling darkness
Generators underneath steel plates
Guarded a quarter mile to the west by novice security
What-the-fuck-does-that-door-into-the-ground-open?
What brought me here:
curiosity greater than anxiety that dominates
every space in my mind
behind me headlights don’t even realize they are perusing
and I sweat to get away,
to upper ground that they never seem to see  

No comments:

Post a Comment